Have you ever watched a video of someone drawing on a whiteboard and explaining something at the same time? The technique used in this way called hand-drawn animation, or whiteboard animation.
Drawn Animation is a video that simulates the process of drawing on a whiteboard in front of the camera. In the beginning, they used real whiteboards and markers to create it, but later they were replaced by digital animation, which is much more effective.
What makes a video in this technique so effective? Hand-drawn animation makes it easier to understand and remember information, including your marketing message. This animation has a high educational potential, making it an ideal tool for conveying complex ideas.
This video format is especially useful for companies offering high-tech products or services. It also comes in handy in cases where you need to cover a large amount of information in a short period of time.
However, there are a few things to know before you start creating videos like these. Below you will find some tips to enhance the effectiveness of your hand-drawn animation.
1. Never start without a script
The first step in creating an animated video is to write a script. A script is the basis of any video, greatly simplifying all subsequent steps (storyboard, illustration, animation …).
Your script should have a clear structure (beginning, middle, and end) and information should be presented in a specific way.
The basic rule is that the three main parts of the story should contain answers to the questions “what”, “how” and “why”:
- What: Tell your audience what specific problem your product solves.
- How: Describe how he solves it.
- Why: Explain why your product is the best alternative on the market.
When writing a script for hand-drawn animation, keep the educational side in mind. You explain and teach, not just sell. The thing about hand-drawn animation is that you take complex concepts and break them down into small pieces that are much easier to learn.
2. Don’t forget the storyboard
With the script in hand, you can start creating a storyboard.
The storyboard demonstrates the main scenes of your video, making the workflow easier for illustrators, animators, and voice actors (and generally everyone else on the project).
It may look like a sketch for illustration, or you can actually design the screens and link each one to the corresponding part of the script. Choose the method that works best for your team, but never skip the storyboarding step.
3. Remember the three hallmarks of hand-drawn animation.
The magic of hand-drawn animation is created by combining three basic elements: a white background, continuous drawing, and a drawing hand.
- White backgrounds are critical for effective communication. If for some reason you need to use a different background, try a different format, such as the explainer video with hand-drawn animation.
- The continuous drawing process makes it easy for viewers to follow the visual storytelling, while at the same time reinforcing the idea that the artist is creating the drawing. This makes your story coherent and coherent.
- No drawing (and hand-drawn animation) is complete without a drawing hand! She puts everything together. If you don’t have a drawing hand, your video is a regular animated video, not a hand-drawn animation.
Of course, you can experiment with your drawing style, create characters similar to your audience, and even add some color (strategically) to the black and white drawing. However, never forget that a well-drawn animation must have the three elements described above.
4. Use elements that increase brand awareness
Who said that hand-drawn animation must be black and white, with a classic structure and nothing else? Of course, you need to adhere to some aesthetic rules, but you can also add bright accents.
This is especially true for the use of elements that increase your brand awareness (brand awareness). These can be your brand colors, logo, and even sounds!
5. Make your target audience feel connected to your brand
A technique that dramatically increases the effectiveness of an animated marketing video is to include your target audience in the story.
A great way to do this – to create characters inspired persona buyers (buyer persona), representing your audience.
By making it easy for people to recognize themselves in a video, your message will resonate much more with them. The power of influence of such a video grows exponentially.
6. Be brief
Most users have a short attention span. In addition, many of us tend to multitask. Just take a look at your screen right now, how many tabs or applications do you have open? Do you really pay attention to all your messages, emails, and social media accounts?
Most likely, your attention is mainly occupied by one thing. This is why it is so important to grab the audience’s attention from the very beginning and be able to retain it.
The shorter your video, the more chances you have to keep your audience’s attention until the very end. The best video length is 60 to 90 seconds. This is enough to convey to people the most necessary information and ensure their undivided attention.
That being said, keep in mind that people decide whether they will watch the video to the end in the first 10-15 seconds. That’s why you should forget about intrigue (leave it to Hollywood!) And start right from the core.
7. Focus on quality
Marketing videos, regardless of their type, are the best way to get your message across on your landing page. Since they reflect the essence of your offer, they should always be of the highest quality.
In the minds of customers, poor quality content equates to low-quality products and brands. In turn, a brand that maintains a high standard of content is considered reliable and trustworthy.
Make sure you only create high-quality illustrations and animations. If you lack the necessary skills, there is nothing to worry about. There are tons of tools and companies out there to help you with animation and video production.
Instead of a conclusion
Hand-drawn animation allows you to convey any information in a simple and visually interesting way. Use it to educate your audience.
- Such a video helps to convey to viewers absolutely any concept, regardless of its complexity.
- Harnesses the power of storytelling combined with unconventional graphics to provide visual appeal.
- To make the story coherent and more “human”, animated characters are used, similar to the persona of the buyer.
You are now completely ready to create your own hand-drawn animation videos.